Thursday, March 28, 2019

How to Think

How to Think 
A Brief Review of a Book Cover.

Since I recently posted a comment that it was my mission in life to help humanity stop stupid shit thinking I thought it couldn’t hurt if I learned a bit about the topic. So I went on Amazon and found a cheap but highly reviewed book by Alan Jacobs (never heard of him) titled How to Think: A Survival Guide for a World at Odds.

It arrived yesterday. I started in on it this morning. It is a slim 2017 edition hardback, 5” x 7 1/2”, 157 pages, one illustration - a cartoon strip.

I first read the book cover since those often give a thumbnail of what to expect inside. To quote a few sentences that jumped out at me: 

“Jacobs has learned that many of our fiercest disputes occur not because we are doomed to be divided but because the people involved simply aren’t thinking.”

Right on dude! That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking.

“Most of us don’t want to think….Thinking is trouble….Thinking can force us out of familiar, comforting habits, and it can complicate our relationships…. Thinking is slow.”

And a caveat that there may be some unexpected gem  inside: 
“…it’s actually impossible to ‘think for yourself’.”

This could be fun!


LLP

No comments: