Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Nostradamus Speaks - Responsibility

Responsibility

I accept I may have been somewhat irresponsible. After getting my first big payday from Dr. Nostradamus -- $16,000 in cash and a cashier's check -- I got a bit carried away. 

I got a room at a Holiday Inn, and set about exploring sunny southern California. I visited Disneyland, then Knott's Berry Farm, then Disneyland again, the Queen Mary, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, and the Hollywood Walk of Fame, back to Disneyland, and many other wonderful points of interest.

Along the way I met a cute blond SoCal hottie, Brenda, who thought I was cute too.

It is shocking how much money you can burn through in a very short time. And in a shocking few weeks I was back in the Dragon Lady's shitty little room, sleeping on the couch and eating Maruchan Ramen Noodle Soup. Brenda did not return my calls.

I started thinking about beautiful Vienna and Ingrid.

Thus it was when I was down a text from the Maestro walked me back: 

I'll be there in 10. N. 

I anxiously texted back: Where? 

There. N.

I frantically set about cleaning my dump of an office, moving boxes of cleaning product from one side of the room to the other and dusting off the sofa and desk. 

Ten minutes later a knock at the door. I opened it and there he was, Doctor Nostradamus, Merlin, not having aged a day since last I saw him in Vienna. Dr. N looked at the sofa and sat at the desk. I sat on the sofa.

"May I see your expense log, Number One?" he said, extending his hand.

"My expense log?"

"Yes, your expense log. The list of expenditures you had while setting up your office."

"Nobody said anything about setting up an office. I thought that was my salary."

"You haven't done anything yet."

"An advance?"

Dr. Nostradamus just looked at me

"Boss," I said, "This is not my fault. You lure me away from a good paying job in Vienna, flatter me with a meaningless fucking title, and send me all the way to Bumfuck, Egypt, and I still don't have the slightest idea of what it is I was hired to do."

Dr. Nostradamus paused for a long moment and then sighed, "You're right, Number One, I bear some of the blame here. Do you have any money left at all?"

"Hardly, and the Dragon Lady is making me clean up the salon or she will kick me out. It's humiliating Boss. I have a degree."

"Okay, here's a little more to tide you over. Get a room, clean yourself up, and we'll meet tomorrow to talk about your job."

With that Dr. Nostradamus walked out. I watched as he engaged in conversation with the Dragon Lady, who started yelling, waving her hands and pointing in my direction.

I closed the door and counted the money Dr. N had left for me.

Dixi

No comments: